Fall is undeniably a very romantic time of the year. Crisp air, beautiful colors, cozy sweaters and warm concoctions entice us to get close to our partners and feel the butterflies we once felt while getting lost in their gaze. As we all know, life happens, habituation settles in, kids need attention and eventually our priorities change and our partners are the last box to get checked off on our relentless ‘to do’ list. So many of us engage in a multitude of cleanses and detoxes to reset our bodies and minds; I propose a 10 day RESET for couples intended to bring you closer to your partner, remember who you were before your emotional response to each other diminished because of repeated stimulus (habituation), and let you experience each other in the new, bright, shiny light of LOVE no matter how dim it has become.
Activities can be done daily or broken up into different days depending on schedule, but has to be done for at least 10 days!
- A walk short walk together holding hands (great to do first thing in the morning to set the tone for the rest of the day).
- Pick a day each to catch up with each other, share dreams and activities. Give your partner complete attention on his/her day and vice –versa, listen without judging and combat the urge to think about what you will say next….Active listening is mandatory.
- Refrain from any kind of criticism whether blatant, subtle, or sarcastic. Take a few deep breaths if the urge to criticize or complain overwhelms you (it’s only 10 days).
- Daily expression of 10 things you are grateful to each other for either verbally or in writing (you can get creative with this one and stick the note in a briefcase or lunchbox or as a bookmark in a book they are currently reading).
- Daily expression of 10 things that are good about the relationship.
- A daily “gift”. Again room for creativity: cook a favorite meal, gas up the car, make coffee, massage after a long day…
- Give each other one personal day, free of chores, duties and demands…the gift of personal time is underestimated, give your partner 24h to do whatever they wish (this may require some advanced planning if kids are involved).
- Try to plan an ‘adventure day’ at the end of the reset…pick a place together to enjoy each other, laugh a lot and completely disengage from life’s demands.
- Since we believe in holistic well-being, for 10 days, eat WHOLE FOODS, no processed or junk food. Leaving room for some decadence while on the adventure day (sharing a dessert or favorite treat).
RESETS are great for couples but can also be done if single or with a friend. Our modern world can deplete us of energy and connection. We are wired for connection (not speaking of social media!). Disconnect and reconnect is a must once in a while!
Liza Jackson is a Master Esthetician + Waxing Specialist at Juut’s St. Paul salon location. For more information of hitting restart this Spring, pay her a visit! It will be good for mind, body and soul!